Who are the
FAVOR Family Advocates?
FAVOR Family Advocates are family members who
have children and youth with emotional, behavioral, neurobiological
or mental health needs. They understand the complex and unique challenges
that families encounter on a daily basis. This personal experience allows
them to support and advocate with other parents without the stigma and
misunderstandings often encountered by parents who have a child with unique
behavioral and mental health needs.
FAVOR works with the community, region and state to improve the services and
supports for children and families through individual advocacy, system-change and legislative agendas.
FAVOR Family Advocates work within a network of family members, parent
organizations and other advocates who provide a variety of multi-cultural
and educational opportunities and resources.
FAVOR believes that children with emotional, behavioral or mental health
needs require individualized services and should be kept in their homes and their communities.
FAVOR Family Advocacy promotes:
- Family involvement in all aspects of their child’s care.
- Services and supports are based on family identified needs and strengths.
- Families are equal partners in the planning, implementation and evaluation of services.
- Services are provided in the home or community to ensure full participation by all family members.
What Do Family Advocates Provide?
- Assist family members to be equal partners in all levels of assessment, planning and implementation of services for their children
- Assist family members in accessing services and supports that are appropriate, family-centered, and community-based
- Assist family members by providing education and support to empower families to become advocates for their own children
- Participate in Community Collaboratives/Systems of Care to promote and support family involvement
- Assist in the development of family support and training initiatives
How Can I Access the Program?
Contact FAVOR, Inc.:
Hal Gibber, Executive Director
185 Silas Deane Highway
Wethersfield, CT 06109-1219
PHONE: (860) 563-3232 Ext 201
FAX: (860) 563-3961